Sustainability Learning Centre
Explore. Inspire. Change.
The Sustainability Learning Centre is an innovative and visionary, purpose-built educational facility which offers learning programs for students and the community. Greening Australia engages with the community to sow the educational seeds of a healthy ecological future on site, on line and in the field.
Get in touch
Greening Australia Education programs at the Centre
- Water Warriors is available on line and inspires young people to be leaders in their community and promote the sustainable use of water resources. Find out more.
- Water for Life – Catchment Care Programs. Available as an on-line resource. Kids investigate their local waterway and understand the impact different users can have on water health and water management. Find out more.
- Building a self-watering self-contained vegetable garden for school or office. Find Out more.
- Gum nut trail Funded by the Bjarne Dahl Trust with Greening Australia, this looped trail explores eucalypts and natural features in the bushland.
- Patrula Trail designed by Greening Australia looking at the effects of fire through the bushland including aboriginal interpretation.
The Department of Education leads tours for schools at the Sustainability Learning Centre at Mount Nelson. Telephone the Sustainability Centre Manager, Dept of Education 6220 3442 Mobile 0438 283 872.
Greening Australia works closely with the community, using education to show how we can achieve a healthy ecological future.
The following videos take you in and around the Centre to find out how it works and what the benefits are. You can also read more on this site about how the building works, its bush build attributes and the materials used.
The Centre operates as a unique partnership between Greening Australia, the Department of Education, Independent Schools Tasmania and the Catholic Education Office.
The Department of Education seeks to provide every Tasmanian with the opportunity to continue to learn and reach their potential, to lead fulfilling and productive lives and to contribute positively to the community. A summary of our partners and links to their websites is below:
- Independent Schools Tasmania is the peak body supporting students at Tasmanian independent schools
- Catholic Education Office Tasmania aims to provide a holistic education for students, founded on the Person of Jesus Christ and committed to developing right relationships through learning – relationships with self, with others and with the earth.
- A full list of the Sustainability Learning Centre partners is available here.